Salisbury City Centre Renewal
Construction and urban renewal
- Create 78 new jobs
- Create local construction jobs through the State and Local Government Capital Expenditure and Procurement project
- Provide private sector investment opportunities.
The Salisbury City Centre renewal project is a major private-sector funded capital works project that will deliver residential, retail and mixed use developments. It will be adjacent to the Salisbury rail station and within the City Centre on government, council and other sites.
The Salisbury City Centre is the cultural, employment and retail heart of the Salisbury area. This project aims to:
- reposition the Salisbury City Centre as a digitally-rich business and services hub for the region
- foster mixed use development, promoting higher density residential development in the centre
- expand opportunities for the establishment and development of independent retailers
- consolidate cultural, community and social infrastructure to meet the needs of the community, job seekers and new arrivals
- incubate new and emerging businesses.
The project involves a number of proposed individual projects which will collectively deliver on these outcomes. Key projects include:
- council investing in a new community hub and civic administration facilities with commencement in the last half of 2017
- releasing council land for development and investment by the private sector for retail, office, residential, and car parking development, with the aim of generating jobs and investment in the City Centre
- upgrading the Salisbury rail station and bus interchange to provide improved passenger facilities and connection into Salisbury City Centre (this project is not yet scheduled but is also linked to the electrification of the Gawler rail line)
- investing in public spaces such as streets, squares and parks to attract more visitors to the area and provide facilities for new residents in the city centre
- reconfiguring the street network and traffic circulation, with a proposed extension of Church Street to connect with Gawler Street/Salisbury Highway, and redirecting bus movements in and around the City Centre
- property owners investing in redevelopment and upgrade of existing commercial and retail buildings.
Estimated project value
To be confirmed
City of Salisbury
Mr Terry Sutcliffe
General Manager City Development
Phone (08) 8406 8222